discuss: Re: For Review: Motorola Sb4100 Cable Modem HOWTO

Subject: Re: For Review: Motorola Sb4100 Cable Modem HOWTO
From: Howard Shane ####@####.####
Date: 19 Mar 2003 20:09:38 -0000

Hi Tabatha,

Tabatha Persad wrote:

>I would recommend that we make this a mini-HOWTO as opposed to a HOWTO,
>since it is so task-specific.  Do you have any objections to making that
>change?  I took a look at the Cable Modems (Provider) HOWTO and I think
>yours should remain separate since it focuses on a particular type of
>hardware.

No objections, I'm a novice at this and will happily defer.

>I noticed in your email proposing the document that you were working on
>an XML version of this, have you done that?  If not, since it's in
>DocBook SGML, I can make that change fairly easily, as it should mostly
>affect the first couple of lines of the source file.  Would you like me
>to take care of that when I do the review?

Let me preface this by saying that I have no formal background in
information technology; I'm much more of a writer than a programmer. I
originally wrote most of the article bits last year, and have had some
spare time to convert it recently. I originally sat down to write the
source in XML in February, but the more I read about how to write TLDP
docs it seemed that the Docbook/SGML was the more mature and best
documented DTD/markup, as well as the most favored format by the project
of late. I apologize if I should have informed you of my switch in
format. If it needs to be converted, great, I will defer to your
judgement. I did test my source with docbook2html and docbook2dvi
repeatedly until there were no syntax warnings. As it is formatted now
the docbook SGML source should process cleanly.

Thanks for your patience with any errors on my part.

hs