discuss: Author Guide - Writing a New HOWTO in DocBook

Subject: Re: Author Guide - Writing a New HOWTO in DocBook
From: Jorge Godoy ####@####.####
Date: 14 Mar 2001 01:30:16 -0000

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, ####@####.#### wrote:
> Sure. Then you get an "XML requires a system ID after a public ID"
> error from PSGML when you C-c C-p. Which means I'm missing the
> system ID, obviously. Which I understand because I do actually know

So you've customized your PSGML :-)
IIRC, new XML standards are including catalogs to work with XML
besides SGML. :-) Even in Java processors. There are some stuff at
DocBook mailing lists.

> a fair amount about XML. And I've even got a hard-copy version of
> Norman Walsh's DocBook sitting in front of me. Of course, his
> recommended system ID is
> http://nwalsh.com/docbook/xml/3.1.4/db3xml.dtd, which strikes me as
> being not quite current, especially in light of the fact that the
> book was published in October of 1999. So I've spent an hour trying
> to find what would be the most current system ID to use because
> ultimately I'd like to create some XML templates and I want them to
> be perfect. (Call me anal.) And I still haven't found it. If it is
> documented in the Author Guide, it ain't exactly easy to
> find. <pout>

If you've installed packages from your Linux distributor, you should
have the correct SYSID at /etc/sgml/catalog. Just cut'n'paste it. It
will be something like
/usr/share/sgml/docbook/xml-dtd-4.1.2/docbookx.dtd

This is the place specified by LSB/FHS... :-)

> So I'm not a happy camper at this point. But I do appreciate your
> help and your patience.

We're here to help. You're also helping us finding areas we should
make better in our documents. :-)

See you,
--

Departamento de Publicações       Conectiva S.A.
Publishing Department             Conectiva Inc.

"Ser poeta não é minha ambição, é minha maneira de estar sozinho"
				- Fernando Pessoa