discuss: re:a new document for review

Subject: re:a new document for review
From: ####@####.####
Date: 10 Mar 2003 14:34:29 -0000

Thanks Alexander :)

That was exactly my intentions when creating the document. Plus I want to
make the FAQ searchable (i am working that piece)

In Peace,
Saqib Ali
"I fear, if I rebel against my Lord, the retribution of an Awful Day (The
Day of Resurrection)" Al-Quran 6:15
http://www.seagate.cc/blog/

|         |           Alexander        |
|         |           Bartolich        |
|         |           <alexander.bartol|
|         |           ####@####.####      |
|         |           No Phone Info    |
|         |           Available        |
|         |           03/10/2003 06:20 |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                                              |
  |        To:      Greg Ferguson ####@####.####                                                                                                |
  |        cc:      ####@####.#### ####@####.####                                                                                 |
  |        Subject: re:a new document for review                                                                                                 |

Greg Ferguson wrote:
> [..] There already is a (general) Linux-FAQ :
> http://tldp.org/FAQ/Linux-FAQ/

It is very general, including items like "How Does One Pronounce Linux?".
And most of the serious questions are answered by "See the XYZ-HOWTO".
Unfortunately only the title is given, not a (relative) link.

The submitted document is very different.
- it is very short and subjective set of questions
- it is distribution dependent
- it does not confuse the reader with background or theory

IMHO it makes little sense for TLDP to include it as a separate document.
- directly competing with vendor manuals is bound to lose
- political correctness will eventually lead to a series of 'translated'
documents
  covering all other distributions
- people with different interests will request a similar document for their
personal
  hot topics

In the end the TOC for the category 'Micro-FAQ' will reach a size that
defeats its purpose.

OTOH size and modularity of the submitted document could fit well into a
Wiki.

http://lists.tldp.org/