discuss: a new document for review

Subject: Re: a new document for review
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 9 Mar 2003 19:02:14 -0000

On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 04:51:48PM +0100, Chris Karakas wrote:
> ####@####.#### wrote:
> >
> > Howdy All,
> >
> > I would like to submit the following document for review:

I looked in the draft at the part on how to enable sendmail.  First,
sendmail is considered by many to be obsolete.  So people using other
mail agents get no help from this.  It turns out that in RedHat, the
default is only to accept mail sent from the local machine and how to
change this is described.  But what about people that are not using
RedHat?  Or that are using RedHat but don't use sendmail?

There are so many different mail programs, each with many versions and
customized by numerous Linux distributions that it's pretty hopeless to
attempt to describe how to configure them all in a FAQ about Linux.
Perhaps one could do separate mail FAQs for each mail program (such as
sendmail).

I think that similar comments could be made about the other sections of
the draft FAQ.

> Others have pointed that we have a Linux FAQ already. Let me just put
> the link here:
>
> http://en.tldp.org/FAQ/Linux-FAQ/index.html
>
> I also think that you should incorporate these answers to the existing
> document.

No.  Many of these answers are too specific and don't even belong in the
Linux FAQ.  What is needed is to revise this existing FAQ since I
quickly noticed a number of errors by reading only about 2% of it.  For
example, the 64MB memory limitation described in this FAQ was fixed in
kernel 2.4.  This old FAQ is fairly well organized since it often
advises one to consult the documentation from their distribution instead
of attempting get into the details of how to handle a situation for each
distribution.