discuss: Oracle-9i-RH8-HOWTO

Subject: Re: Oracle-9i-RH8-HOWTO
From: Stephen Darlington ####@####.####
Date: 26 Feb 2003 22:57:15 -0000

> I know that because being a Slackware user,
> I asked him to write a specific HOWTO for
> my distro and he disagreed. Later I
> asked him to put one chapter in his HOWTO
> about specific Slackware info, but he also
> disagreed.

It was never a blanket "no, never." I said I was open to persuasion,
but but I've still not heard an argument that would convince me to
complicate the document.

To (briefly) reiterate:

1. Oracle support SuSE and RedHat. People using any other distribution
are not going to get professional support. More than 90% of people
using Oracle use RedHat. Oracle and RedHat really want you to use
Advanced Server, not RH8.

2. It's already a long and complex document and trying to make it
readable and useful for four versions of Oracle, and four versions of
four distributions just isn't possible. The compromise I've reached is
the HOWTO with one version of each and small errata on my website for
some of the most common alternatives.

While I personally feel that the changes suggested so far would devalue
the HOWTO, it is available under a very liberal licence so people can
do (more or less) what they like with it if they so choose. If the
consensus is that a large document covering all versions of everything
is the way forward, I am happy to hand over the reins.

Regards,
--> Stephen
----
                     Stephen Darlington (www.zx81.org.uk)
       "I laugh in the face of danger, then I hide until it goes away"
----