discuss: Planning to publish new document

Subject: Re: Planning to publish new document
From: Stephen Darlington ####@####.####
Date: 24 Feb 2003 19:42:23 -0000

> For each version of Oracle the installation is unique.

I don't think that's true, and that's why I'd argue against it (and the
Oracle on RedHat 7 document if I'd had the chance!).

The Oracle 7 HOWTO has a place as there was never an official version
of Oracle so it's a bit of a hack. You could possibly argue that it's
not necessary now.

The 8i HOWTO has a place as installing it was a huge pain in the first
place even though Oracle theoretically supported it. Following Oracle's
documentation would get you a core dump (if you were lucky). Again, you
could argue that it's not terribly contemporary now, but you couldn't
bring all the versions up to date without losing a lot of information.

The 9i installer is the same as the 8i one but with less bugs (I
managed to install it without consulting any documentation).

> I think that these HOWTOs are written to be much less complex than
> Oracle Installation Guide and more like an example, not a guide to
> easy installation.

As I suggest above, mine was written to make it possible to use Oracle
on Linux without paying vast amounts of money to Oracle support. I
think we should be furthering and advocating Linux not giving Oracle
free documentation and marketing.

Just my 2d worth...

Cheers,
--> Stephen