discuss: Author Guide SGML Smoke Test for Emacs/PSGML

Subject: Author Guide SGML Smoke Test for Emacs/PSGML
From: "Patrick K. O'Brien" ####@####.####
Date: 13 Mar 2001 23:55:53 -0000

The smoke test fails if the test file is XML. The message is that "XML
forbids omitted tag minimization." While the Author Guide claims that there
is little difference between the SGML and XML versions of DocBook, this is
one of several examples that, as a newcomer, cause me to see the current
Author Guide as less friendly toward those of us who want to start with XML
and could care less about SGML.

Now, clearly the smoke test is labeled as an SGML Smoke Test and I'm sure
that if I jumped over to the SGML vs XML section I could figure out how to
fix this for XML. But my point is that I don't want to learn SGML and then
learn modifications for XML. I just want to learn the XML way. So why isn't
there an XML Smoke Test? Why is XML getting shortchanged in a very recent
version of a guide targeted for new authors?

I really think we're missing out on the chance to ride the groundswell of
support for XML in general. If DocBook takes off it will be because of XML.
Clinging to all this SGML crap is shortsighted. Let's face it, SGML just
never reached its potential. But XML is going gangbusters. New users of
DocBook and new LDP authors are going to be more interested in XML than in
SGML. So the LDP needs to do an about face and put XML in the forefront and
SGML in the closet.

Of course, this is just my opinion. Take it or leave it.

---
Patrick K. O'Brien
Orbtech (http://www.orbtech.com)
"I am, therefore I think."