discuss: Summary of GNU/Linux Tools HOWTO -- could you add this as a work-in-progress

Subject: Re: Summary of GNU/Linux Tools HOWTO -- could you add this as a work-in-progress
From: ####@####.#### (Chris Karakas)
Date: 11 Feb 2003 22:29:31 -0000

Morgon Kanter wrote:

> > Does the LDP have a particular preference on SGML or XML (DocBook)....
> > Chris have you or are you ready to release the scripts?
>
> I think Eric Raymond summed this up best in the DocBook Demystification
> Howto, part 11.2, "Why SGML DocBook is dead"

Those proclaimed to be dead live longer -  goes a german saying ;-)

For me SGML is still alive and well. I can produce documents like

http://www.karakas-online.de/EN-Book/index.html

with all the other formats as in

http://www.karakas-online.de/EN-Book/formats.html

at the click of a button (with my scripts, of course).

On the other side, I read that, while XML may be good at rendering
online formats, it is still a pain when it comes to print ones (like
PDF).

And, AFAIK XML is a subset of SGML, so SGML can't be dead, technically
at least, without XML being dead too.

--
Regards

Chris Karakas