discuss: Generic Software Developers Guide

Subject: Re: Generic Software Developers Guide
From: Salvador Peralta ####@####.####
Date: 11 Feb 2003 20:00:11 -0000

Chris Karakas wrote:

>> I think it is negative since LDP should always have the latest versions.
>> I suppose that it would be OK to accept this but I wouldn't like to
>> encourage it and would suggest looking for a new author who is willing
>> to release the latest versions to the LDP.
>

>Maybe I don't fully understand the processes involved. Suppose I write
>1-2 paragraphs or 1 section per day. It's not a problem for me to put it
>on my website instantly (apart from the bandwidth I will use each time I
>do it, which may easily be 20MB or more). Sending each and every
>bleeding edge version to the LDP would be a pain for both the LDP and
>the author/maintainer.

I agree with this, and it is the model that I have used on the couple of
Mini-HOWTO's that I have submitted to TLDP.  On the Howto, I simply
write that you can grab the latest release from my homepage with the
intention of making a good-faith effort to submit major revisions to the
TLDP as I finish them.

I think that it would be a serious mistake to encourage secondary
authors to jump in and assume ownership of documents where the original
owner may have every intention of keeping the work up to date simply
because they refer people to a working document on a homepage somewhere
other than TLDP.

I believe that doing this has the potential to alienate contributors who
could just as easily be selling many of the works that they are
contributing to the project.

I can say with certainty that I wouldn't be happy about it if someone
tried to hand off one of my contributions for the reasons that David
appears to be suggesting.

Just my $0.02.

Salvador Peralta

--