discuss: Generic Software Developers Guide

Subject: Re: Generic Software Developers Guide
From: ####@####.#### (Chris Karakas)
Date: 11 Feb 2003 19:29:17 -0000

David Lawyer wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 02:58:05AM +0100, Chris Karakas wrote:
> > You could put a line saying "The latest version of this document can
> > be found at www.goingware.com, together with other goodies you might
> > be interested in - give me a visit!"
> >
> > Each time read a HowTO I was interested in and had a similar remark, I
> > visited the site immediately ;-)
> >
> > I don't think this is unethical/non-free/negative - what do the others
> > think?
>
> I think it is negative since LDP should always have the latest versions.
> I suppose that it would be OK to accept this but I wouldn't like to
> encourage it and would suggest looking for a new author who is willing
> to release the latest versions to the LDP.

Maybe I don't fully understand the processes involved. Suppose I write
1-2 paragraphs or 1 section per day. It's not a problem for me to put it
on my website instantly (apart from the bandwidth I will use each time I
do it, which may easily be 20MB or more). Sending each and every
bleeding edge version to the LDP would be a pain for both the LDP and
the author/maintainer. We could arrange for something like "as soon as a
new chapter is completed, LDP will get it, but minor changes (say, on
the section level), will be first published on the author's/maintainer's
website". Something like "the latest official version" and "the latest
inofficial, bleeding edge version". Like the Linux kernel.

Would that be more aproppriate?

--
Regards

Chris Karakas