discuss: Quoting styles in documents.

Subject: Re: Quoting styles in documents.
From: Tabatha Persad ####@####.####
Date: 8 Feb 2003 11:42:13 -0000

I'll take a stab at this since I've been reading up on the subject of
grammar...

I think from an American usage perspective, double straight quotes (")
are used for conversation, and single quotes (') are used for quotes
WITHIN conversations.  This usage may differ in British usage, where I
think single quotes for speech may be acceptable as well.

Double quotes are also common for quoting most anything, "As the old
saying goes!"  In print publishing, when you work on a manuscript, you
turn off the "curly" quotes feature of your word processor or editing
program and use "straight" quotes instead.

The rest is sheer preference!

Cheers,
Tabatha

--