discuss: A new project: Xbox-Linux HOW-TO

Subject: Re: A new project: Xbox-Linux HOW-TO
From: "Jukka Aho" ####@####.####
Date: 2 Feb 2003 09:01:40 -0000

Tabatha Persad wrote:

>> If all this sounds reasonable, I would like to register the
>> project with the name "Xbox-Linux HOW-TO".

> I'd like for you to get more feedback from the discussion
> list, but I think this would be a good document to add to
> the collection.  If others agree, you'd want to consider
> providing a link to a draft copy of the document, if possible.

I am drafting it now, and will post it up later. As I see
it, the content will be an edited compilation of some of
the more end-user oriented documents currently available
at <http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/articles.php>, plus
a bunch of material never published before (or previously
only posted to related mailing lists and/or newsgroups as
messages, such as several articles I have written on my
own.)

The aim is to provide a coherent how-to document, though,
and not just a clip-book of various documents and mailing
list correspondence, so I will have to do some heavy editing
and rewriting to make it so - but for the most parts, the
actual content and knowledge base is already out there; it
just needs to be compiled together and refined in a how-to
format.

> DocBook XML is highly favored for this kind of work.  You
> want also to consider a license for your document (GFDL
> works well).

It appears that I can use the Java-based XMLmind XML Editor
<http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/> for writing the document
in Simplified Docbook XML. Although it seems to have some
shortcomings (the "non-features" [!] section on the web page)
I believe it will do for this project.

GFDL has been the intended license right from the beginning.
Of course, I will be asking the author's permission for
including any passage of text not written by me.

> Since you mention it, try this link on my site:
> www.merlinmonroe.com/formatting.shtml .

Thanks, very informative.

> I'm one of a few who like Emacs for working on SGML/XML.
> With the PSGML plug-in, it gives me a lot of handy tools
> for parsing, syntax highlighting, and verifying the nesting
> of tags.  The good news is you can get Emacs/XEmacs for
> Windows too!  I can't speak for the plug-in though.

Emacs is something I would some day like to dive into, but
as of now, the little attempts I have made in that direction
have been less than successful. I believe it is the command
philosophy - I would very much like to use the powerful editor
engine inside but redefine almost everything related to keyboard
shortcuts, instead of learning yet another weird command set
by heart. (I'm not saying you can't customize it - you most
certainly can - but it would be a Herculean effort to
redefine every single command and option there is in Emacs,
without clashing with the others.)

Thanks for your comments and help.

--
 Jukka Aho             +358  6 317 4282
 Konepajakatu 9 Q 48   +358 50 349 8812    IRCNet:znark