discuss: Command-line reference (summary) and some other documentation

Subject: Re: Command-line reference (summary) and some other documentation
From: "Kurt Pfeifle" ####@####.####
Date: 25 Jan 2003 19:46:07 -0000

Chris Karakas wrote:

> Guru - wrote:
>
>>Currently they have been written in LyX and it would take some effort to
>>convert them to your type of documentation.
>

> You have used the right editor ;-)
>

>>"SGML or XML only."
>>Ok, I'll need to work on it then.......
>>It will take some time to convert...
>

> No, it will not :-) . You are lucky. I have done this work already. I
> just need to describe it and put it on my website for the world to
> enjoy.

[....]

> Send your LyX documents to me. I use LyX
> 1.2.0.

So I guess this won't work for documents authored with a previous version
of LyX? One would probably need to convert them to LyX-1.2 first (if that's
not too painful)?

> I have written some (rather elaborate) scripts that do the
> following:
>
> - Export the .lyx document to DocBook SGML. LyX uses DocBook 4.1 from
> 1.2.0 on.
> - Correct the LyX SGML. That's done with sed and a long sed script.
> - Transform the SGML file to HTML, PDF, RTF, TXT and PS. The PDF comes
> with full hypertext support, embedded Computer Modern fonts, bookmarks
> and thumbnails.
> - Images, cross-references to images, tables, sections work for all
> versions where they are meaniungfull, i.e. HTML, PDF, RTF (yes! RTF too)
> and PS.
> - Index generation is automatic. You just have to define the "Index
> entry for previous word" in LyX.

Hey -- this sounds terrific! I'll definitely give it a spin very soon.
(I hope you'll release your little secret very soon... ;-)

> Don't try to repeat this work - it's been a pain to put it all together
> - images, cross-references, thumbnails, index, all that is not trivial
> to get "out of the box" from LyX.
>
> But I've done it and it works great. See the following documents that
> were created this way on my website:
>
> - http://www.karakas-online.de/myAMANDA/index.html
> - http://www.karakas-online.de/EN-Book/index.html (scroll down to see
> the link to the Index, or the List of Figures)
> - http://www.karakas-online.de/myTreemenu/index.html
>
> Click on the "Formats" subsection in the above documents to find the
> links to all the other formats - and try them, to see what I mean!

These look all awfully good and useful! Congratulations for this
really be achievement!

Thanks a lot!
Kurt