discuss: Wiki questions

Subject: Re: Wiki questions
From: Alexander Bartolich ####@####.####
Date: 15 Jan 2003 00:51:53 -0000

David Lawyer wrote:
> > [...] what ideas are circulating?
>
> Of course the idea of OpenFacts

I thought that was coming from outside, and not
really solving LDP's problems.

 > which would be a wiki for LDP documents, etc.

Trying to create a new community around Wiki is
very interesting. I do see a gap between the chaos
of Usenet and the big HOWTOs built like cathedrals.
Forcing authors (especially the people still using
LinuxDoc) into this scheme can only fail, though.

> and financed by the German government.

Politics are strange, and the Internet is fast.
If this endeavour is really free then other sites
can mirror and even fork. And if OpenFacts is not
free then they will drown in a sea of flames.

 > So if Lampadas ever gets going there would then
 > be two wiki systems and much duplication of
 > effort as well as forks.

Just when exactly did free software stop to be about
choice and diversity? And even if there could only be
one I would rather watch out for big SourceForge than
a tiny newcomer.

Anyway, to have a say at all in this game your premise
needs to come true: "if Lampadas ever gets going" ...

 > Free documentation for free software needs to be
 > efficiently done and it's would be very wrong in my
 > opinion to have 2 wiki systems.

Strange approach. If someone volunteers for a
redundant project then there is not much you can do:
Emacs/XEmacs, BSD/Hurd/Linux, KDE/GNOME.
The interesting question here is interoperability.
I doubt that all listed authors of LDP will feel
comfortable with Wiki. And I doubt that Wiki will
ever reach the flexibility planned for Lampadas.

> So should we give up on Lampadas? No, since it does
 > a lot more than just provide a wiki system.

s/does/would do/ and you have my full agreement.

 > It would let authors that need help or want out to
 > find help (or someone to replace them).

SourceForge has this.

 > It would assign each doc a status and keep track
 > of reviews, etc.

SourceForge is not far from that.

> [...] So I would suggest that OpenFacts (and
 > indirectly the German government) help with getting
 > Lampadas up and running

It's exactly this kind of arrogance that disturbs me
about LDP.

AFAIK there is a mod_perl and a mod_python version of
Lampadas in CVS, both aborted. David Merril made a
brave decision to start from scratch using Zope, but
since then I did not hear much. I would really like to
continue my low-level shell-scripting, database handling
and translation efforts with the new setup, but all I get
is a shrug. I'm really curious - on what grounds do you
base your strong words?

 > [...]
> As David M. has pointed out, Lampadas is not just for
 > the LDP.

Nobody doubts your good intentions.

All I really wanted to know is whether there is an
alternative project plan. Perhaps I am missing something,
but there was no stampede of fully fledged developers
breaking down the gates to help.
And using Zope has actually increased the knowledge problem.