discuss: Wiki questions

Subject: Re: Wiki questions
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 14 Jan 2003 19:37:38 -0000

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 03:01:13PM +0100, Alexander Bartolich wrote:
> I guess you have a more direct access to the internal rumors and plans
> of LDP. So - with the lampadas list dropped dead and David busy
> getting a life - what ideas are circulating?

Of course the idea of OpenFacts (which is what this thread is supposedly
about) which would be a wiki for LDP documents, etc. and financed by the
German government.  So if Lampadas ever gets going there would then be
two wiki systems and much duplication of effort as well as forks.  Free
documentation for free software needs to be efficiently done and it's
would be very wrong in my opinion to have 2 wiki systems.

So should we give up on Lampadas?  No, since it does a lot more than
just provide a wiki system.  It would let authors that need help or want
out to find help (or someone to replace them).  It would assign each doc
a status and keep track of reviews, etc.  While I didn't fully agree
with the status designations, at least it would be possible to change
them in the future.  All these functions of Lampadas are very important.

So I would suggest that OpenFacts (and indirectly the German government)
help with getting Lampadas up and running (and use it as well once it's
stable).  As David M. has pointed out, Lampadas is not just for the LDP.

			David Lawyer