discuss: Wiki questions

Subject: Re: Wiki questions
From: Sergiusz Pawlowicz ####@####.####
Date: 13 Jan 2003 12:45:18 -0000

--->[Quoting Erik Moeller ####@####.####

> On Mon, 2003-01-13 at 12:36, Sergiusz Pawlowicz wrote:
>
> > --->[Quoting Erik Moeller ####@####.####
> >
> > > A better  long term modus  operandi is to  use OpenFacts
> > > for  the  editing  process,   and  to  use  LDP/CVS  for
> > > selecting trusted revisions of  the documents in regular
> > > intervals.
> >
> > Technical  question: what  to  do if  a  document will  be
> > changed in  the same time in  Wiki and in LDP-CVS?  How to
> > resolve conflicts?
>
> Hi Sergiusz,
>
> thanks for  your feedback.  Since there are  no dependencies
> between  the two,  this  would likely  only  be a  temporary
> inconsistency until someone working  in one "mode" (wiki vs.
> cvs) adds the new or modified information from the other. As
> I  wrote, I  think it  would be  best to  eventually have  a
> policy on  some HOWTOs that  they are  only to be  edited in
> wiki-mode  and that  CVS is  only used  to check  in trusted
> revisions by the maintainer, but that is a choice that is up
> to the individual authors.

Yeah - and now we have real problem.

I can understand idea of Wiki  is delightful. But - only idea.
Wiki  has no  editing  tools,  as VI  or  MS(TM) Word(TM).  So
writing  or editing  documents  in Wiki  is  for me  completly
unacceptable.

Imagine that I  personally refuse to use Wiki. May  I? And now
you have  to say:  "No. You  must use  Wiki because  we cannot
provide tools  to allow  editing not  in Wiki-mode."  And what
about freedom?

Much  less  important  is   my  personal  opinion,  that  Wiki
(paradoxically)  is  only  seemingly more  useful,  because  I
noticed, that if someone cannot  teach himself to use docbook,
he  (she)   also  has  nothing  interesting   to  write  about
computers...

Of  course  Wiki  is  very useful  in  preparing  FAQs  (short
questions and  answers) and in  other fields than  computers -
humanities or (no ofence) eg. kitchen recipes.

cheers - Sergiusz
--
private: http://ibiblio.org/ser/  company: http://it-zone.org/
on wallpaper: tldp.org, gnu.org, pld-linux.org, hyperreal.info