discuss: Generic Software Developers Guide

Subject: Re: Generic Software Developers Guide
From: ####@####.#### (Chris Karakas)
Date: 12 Jan 2003 01:43:37 -0000

"Michael D. Crawford" wrote:

>     Pointers, References and Values
>     http://www.goingware.com/tips/parameters/

Michael,

I spent two hours trying to find out why my web spider could not
download your files correctly. I started fantasizing you would have some
highly effective web robot detection script on your web server which
would mangle the files. I kept getting errors of the type "file has zero
size".

It turned out it has to do with gzip encoding. As soon as I turned off
"use gzip encoding for transfer", I was able to download the files for
later reading.

I thought I would rather let you know - perhaps it's a problem with your
web server, 'cause I've never had to disable that option till now.

--
Regards

Chris Karakas
http://www.karakas-online.de