discuss: [tbm@cyrius.com: Contacting mirrors with old HOWTOs?]

Subject: Re: [tbm@cyrius.com: Contacting mirrors with old HOWTOs?]
From: Hugo van der Kooij ####@####.####
Date: 11 Jan 2003 10:09:51 -0000

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003, Colin Watson wrote:

> That cure is blatantly non-free (consider the person who runs an old
> system with similarly old versions of the HOWTOs installed and happens
> to export /usr/share/doc via HTTP, or for that matter the Debian
> archive) and far worse than the disease. I rather doubt that Martin is
> interested in *suing* anyone - just wondering if anyone is looking into
> giving mirror sites a nudge.

I feel that if everyone here just takes 15 minuttes to find obsolete site
close to home. (Like me checking obsolete NL sites.) we might inform just
enough site admins to see some movement. Then redo such an exercise say 2
months later.

This way the number of obsolete mirrors could be reduced slowly. But I do
not feel we will be able to get to them all. But any obsolete site being
updated or removed is a stepp in the right direction.

Hugo.

    ####@####.####		http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/
	    for they are subtle and quick to anger.