discuss: Generic Software Developers Guide

Subject: Re: Generic Software Developers Guide
From: "Michael D. Crawford" ####@####.####
Date: 11 Jan 2003 03:45:58 -0000

Tabatha asked:
 > What do you (and everyone else) think?  :)

I'm willing to release the document under the GFDL if the result of that would
have as much of an effect of promoting my consulting business as having the
only copy on my website does.  I have some other documents under the GFDL.

I realize there's no real way to predict that for sure.

I apologize for being so openly mercenary about it, but I earn my keep solely
through my business, and times have been tough these last couple years.

On the one hand, people find the existing document via links and search
engines, come to read the only copy of the article, and sometimes stay to visit
the rest of my site, where they find out I'm a consultant.  Also sometimes they
give me a link, which drives up my search engine rankings.

On the other hand, I realize that having the document on the LDP's website and
included in Linux distributions would cause more people to read it, who would
see that I wrote it, and who would therefore (hopefully!) regard me as an
expert C++ programmer, and then come find me if they need a consultant.  But I
might not get so many links to my own site.

I felt that John Levon had a good point when he said the the document was best
where it is, which is why I didn't pursue Free licensing anymore after I
initially brought it up in my Advogato diary.

I'm quite open to listening to arguments about it though.  I would like to
benefit more programmers by opening it, but it's probably the most popular page
on my site.

Here are the pieces I already have under the GFDL:

http://linuxquality.sunsite.dk/articles/
http://www.goingware.com/zoolib/cookbook/  (This isn't nearly finished yet)

Here's another article you may be interested in, which is not Free but I am
considering making so:

Writing Cross-Platform Software - Getting Started
http://www.byteswap.net/mikesnotes/2002/getting-started/

Regards,

Mike
--