discuss: Generic Software Developers Guide

Subject: Generic Software Developers Guide
From: Cameron Shorter ####@####.####
Date: 11 Jan 2003 02:12:37 -0000

I'm currently writing a Software Developers Guide for a java based project:
http://geotools.org/gt2docs/

What I am noticing as I write it is that 90% of it is generic and could be cut
and paste verbatum into another project.  Eg:
* Licence
* ConfigurationManagementProcess
* BuildProcess
* CodingStandards
* UnitTesting
* DirectoryNamingConvensions
* DocumentationProcess
etc.

So I'm proposing setting up a Generic Guides project.  It would contain a
number of docbook sections which address one part of the software development
process (Eg CVS for code control).  Some processes can be addressed 2
different ways, so there would be 2 sections and the user can select the
process they want (Eg C_Coding_Standards.sgml or Java_Coding_Standards.sgml).

One master document would pull in all the subsections using <xi:include> tags.

Later, we could write a wizard to help users select sections for each process
they need to address.

So my questions are:
1. Is anyone working on something similar to this?
2. Should this be done under the umbrella of the LDP or should I set up a
seperate sourceforge project for it?

--
Cameron Shorter              http://cameron.shorter.net
Open Source Developer        http://mapbuilder.sourceforge.net