discuss: [tbm@cyrius.com: Contacting mirrors with old HOWTOs?]

Subject: Re: [tbm@cyrius.com: Contacting mirrors with old HOWTOs?]
From: Alexander Bartolich ####@####.####
Date: 10 Jan 2003 23:08:15 -0000

David Lawyer wrote:
 > [...] If we sued and won (as we likely would) just one case,
 > it would scare other sites into either keeping our docs
 > up-to-date or not carrying them at all.
> 			David Lawyer
                              ^

You forget to insert "the" --+

My humble question as a European heretic: Do you think that
outdatet copies are circulating only in the US? Or are the
advances in the field of international copyright lawsuits I
am missing?

And even if you win such a suit, what would you gain?
There is no profit in keeping outdated copies. Apart from
technical difficulties sheer ignorance is the main reason
that this happens. And ignorant people ignore lawsuits by
definition.

Personally I consider your idea to be against the spirit
of the internet and even geekdom in general. I try to
achieve command over machines, not over humans.

My suggestions:

Every document hosted by LDP should contain a few
standardized words about the main site and where and how
to look for updates. This information should be smart
enough to cover the case of renaming the site.

LDP should provide means to track the history of documents.
It should be possible to track renamed and translated
documents. The used approach should definitely be low-tech.
This makes it easier to mirror the "database" itself.
And it reduces the risk of another Lampadas.

Every version of every document hosted by LDP should have
a pseudo-unique key, e.g. a combination of serial number
and md5sum hash of the contents. googling for this key
should easily find all relevant copies.