discuss: PHPNuke HowTo

Subject: PHPNuke HowTo
From: ####@####.#### (Chris Karakas)
Date: 10 Jan 2003 21:28:34 -0000

Hello,

I just joined this list. In some sense, I have always been with you,
since I write all my documents (private *and* business) in a LDP HowTo
style ;-)

I am following the LDP Author Guide, which says that I should contact
this list before I start a HowTo, so that's what I am doing. My
intention is the following:

Claudio Erba of spaghettibrain.com wrote a 70 page document (let's call
it "the PHPNuke Book" from now on) on PHPNuke in italian under the GNU
Documentation Language. You can find the original at

http://www.spaghettibrain.com/modules.php?name=book

It didn't take long and we joined forces to translate it in english -
we, that is amp2000, bloody and me. You can read the (long!) translation
thread at nukeforums.com at

http://www.nukeforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=11210&forum=42

I put considerable effort to not only translate it but to transform it
to DocBook SGML too. I used LyX for this. We wrote in LyX, then I passed
the .lyx document through some sophisticated scripts of mine, which in
turn corrected and extended the SGML produced by LyX, then called
sgmltools, openjade, pdfjadetex and friends to create the various
formats.

The translation is complete now. You can see it at my homepage at

http://www.karakas-online.de/EN-Book/index.html

or, if you don't want my navigation tree to the left,

http://www.karakas-online.de/EN-Book/book1.html

The format is certainly familiar to you, so I will not discuss it
further.

My intention is to extend this document to a "PHPNuke HowTo", including
more material on programming, management or whatever the readers of it
may wish to see. And there are already people who press for the
inclusion of more material to it, since PHPNuke has long suffered from
the absence of documentation. See also

http://phpnuke.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=5246

I volunteer to maintain this new PHPNuke HowTo along the above lines.
What do you think? What shall my next step be?

--
Regards

Chris Karakas
http://www.karakas-online.de