discuss: volunteering for LDP

Subject: Re: volunteering for LDP
From: "Kristin E Thomas" ####@####.####
Date: 12 Mar 2001 22:56:30 -0000

> On Feb 23,  1:30pm, Kristin E Thomas wrote:
> > Subject: volunteering for LDP
> > Hi Everyone,
> > I'd like to get more information about several of the items I've seen
on
> > the LDP's lists.  I'm interested in the "Indexing HOWTO" that's on the
> > Suggestion List and index.html file for the subdirectories that's on
> > the To Do List.  I'd appreciate any information anyone can give me.

  >Indexing was started by Redhat when they wanted to make a new issue
  >of the printed HOWTOs with a proper index. Someone added the tags
  >and indexing and then returned the documents to the authors asking we
  >continued the same pattern. And that was all.

  >To me that is not really enough. First of all I would like to know more
  >on HOWTO the indexing works rather than adding things like
  >  <nidx>disk!disktypes!ata</nidx>
  >and also how to add the generated index to the document. I guess
  >it is something like <toc> to add table of contents but I do not
  >know.

If I understand what people have been telling me correctly, an explanation
of how the index function actually works doesn't really belong in the LAG.
I could be wrong, but it looks like that just contains information on how
to do things, not how they work.

>Some more definite guidelines on indexing would be nice too.

What do you mean by guidelines?  I'd be happy to add more information, but
I'm not really sure what to add.

Kristin Thomas
Linux Information Development
Linux Technology Center