discuss: Managing multiple seperate sections using simple docbook

Subject: Re: Managing multiple seperate sections using simple docbook
From: Dan Richter ####@####.####
Date: 2 Dec 2002 11:10:04 -0000

>We have multiple authors and would like to work on our sections in seperately
>controlled files.  We want to build one master design doc as well as
>producing a stand alone docs for each section.

We've started using a system that seems promising. Of course since we're
just starting to use it we know it works, but we can't guarantee that it
works well (scales well, etc.).

Each book looks like this:

<!doctype book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN"[
   <!ENTITY % all SYSTEM "../common/all.sgml">
   %all;
]>
<book>
   <bookinfo>
   </bookinfo>
   &whatever-chapters-are-appropriate;
</book>

This does an SGML #include on the main file. This main file does an SGML
#include on all files necessary, including &entity; definitions. Each
chapter is its own entity, and when chapters logically correspond, an
entity can be defined to include all of them. You wouldn't do this in a C
program (since it includes a lot of stuff that isn't used), but in SGML
this doesn't have a measureable affect on the processing time.

   Do I know what's in this bill? Are you kidding? Only God knows...
       - U.S. Senator Robert Byrd, when asked if he knew the
         contents of a $520 billion, 4000-page spending bill