discuss: Re: The C++ HOWTO Review

Subject: Re: The C++ HOWTO Review
From: John Levon ####@####.####
Date: 20 Nov 2002 23:05:19 -0000

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 12:32:20PM -0800, Tabatha Persad wrote:

> This document has been brought to my attention by Joy.  Since the C++
> HOWTO is extremely relevant, I'd like to have 2-3 people get together
> who can perform a technical review.  At the same time, either myself or
> one of the reviewers can ensure a language review is also conducted.

I have to be honest here: I do not see that document as salvagable. My
main concern being simply "what is it for, and who is it aimed at ?".

What is the scope of this HOWTO intended to be ? What areas does it
cover that are not already extensively covered elsewhere ? Can you
expand on your "extremely relevant" comment ? Whilst C++ is certainly in
wide use on Linux, I do not know of a significant gap in available
documentation. I would suggest this is backed up by the lack of useful
content in the HOWTO: both the inaccurate, misleading editorialising,
and the redundant and poorly coded string class included in the document
are entirely unnecessary, even disregarding their technical flaws.

To be specific, in its current state the document does not even begin to
meet criteria 1-3 as set out in the Author's Guide :

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/sg-subject.html

So I would like to see a discussion regarding this before even
considering a technical/language review of the document. The project as
a whole may well decide that there is in fact no need for such a HOWTO,
but we can't decide that until we've found out what the HOWTO is
actually about :)

regards
john
--
Khendon's Law: If the same point is made twice by the same person,
the thread is over.