discuss: The C++ HOWTO

Subject: Re: The C++ HOWTO
From: "Joy Y Goodreau" ####@####.####
Date: 20 Nov 2002 15:16:14 -0000

When a document has fundamental errors and has generated responses from the
LDP readership about the document's viability, the Review Coordinator can
then call for a technical review of the document. In the recent past this
has been a general call for help to the discuss list. We also usually
contact readers who had difficulty with the document and ask them if they
would like to act as a reviewer.

Currently the review process is sorely understaffed. New documents are the
only documents that are consistently reviewed, although we had originally
planned to have technical reviewers and language reviewers working on the
collection of existing documents.

We are now in a transition period with the reviews. A new review
coordinator was named this month (Tabatha Persad) and she is still learning
the job. I expect that with her enthusiasm that you will be pleasantly
surprised with the improvements to the review process and the publication
of the review process over the next few months. I am hoping that she will
be able to bring in and inspire volunteers to review existing documents. We
always have no shortage of individuals willing to sign up to do reviews,
but a distinct shortage in the reviews that get done.

John, since you express an interest in getting in and getting to work on
some documents in the collection, I'm sure there will be no problem finding
plenty of places where you can be phenomenally useful!

Thanks,

joy

************************
Joy Y. Goodreau
LTC Information Development, Team Lead
Collections Editor for The Linux Documentation Project (www.tldp.org)
Office: (512) 838-4118;  T/L:  678-4118
####@####.####

                      John Levon
                      <levon@movementar        To:       ####@####.####
                      ian.org>                 cc:
                      Sent by: John            Subject:  The C++ HOWTO
                      Levon
                      ####@####.####
                      ac.uk>

                      11/20/2002 08:42
                      AM

I understand that the process for dealing with poor quality HOWTOs is
for them to be reviewed, in an attempt to salvage useful content.
However, it seems to me that this example in particular has no useful
content whatsoever.

Even if it is removed "for review" as per a couple of the other useless
HOWTOs, can this please be done soon for the C++ HOWTO ? And are people
seriously trying to fix up this stuff ? It amounts to a re-write, at
least in the case of the C++ HOWTO (which in itself has no clear agenda
or purpose, anyway).

The contributor pages don't seem to refer to the reviewing task at all
as something that outsiders can help with. Is this process open ?

These HOWTOs are damaging tldp's reputation (at least going from
comments I hear).

btw, the "how to submit" documentation on the site makes no reference to
any form of peer review, but ISTR that this does happen these days ?

regards
john
--
Khendon's Law: If the same point is made twice by the same person,
the thread is over.

http://lists.tldp.org/