discuss: XML validation service?

Subject: XML validation service?
From: David Horton ####@####.####
Date: 17 Nov 2002 21:07:10 -0000

Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of converting some stuff that I originally wrote in
HTML into Dockbook XML.  As a result I am pretty familiar with HTML and
the tools that go with it, but not so familiar with XML and its tools.
 I generally I write HTML in vi, preview it with Mozilla and check it
using the validator at w3c.org.  I like this method, because vi and
Mozilla are platform independent.  I am trying something similar as I
move to XML.  I'm editing in vi and previewing in Mozilla.  Mozilla does
a nice job of displaying the XML when given a stylesheet, but I am
wondering if I am making any XML syntax errors that it doesn't catch.  I
tried the w3c.org validator on my XML and it choked on my use of
"xlink".  For example, it didn't like:

|<link xlink:type="simple" xlink:href="intro.xml">Introduction</link>|

  Mozilla didn't have a problem with it at all.  Unfortunately since I
am not an XML guru I don't know if this is a mistake on my part or
something that is not part of a standard now, but will be in the future.
 The reason I am using xlink is because it allows me to preview raw XML
documents in Mozilla and have hyperlinks that work.

If anyone is writing in Dockbook XML using a similar approach and has
any tips or tricks, I would really appreciate it.  I want to learn how
to do it right from the beginning.

Thanks,
Dave