discuss: Is a VNC HOWTO needed/useful?

Subject: Re: Is a VNC HOWTO needed/useful?
From: Megan Golding ####@####.####
Date: 17 Nov 2002 16:25:29 -0000

Some excellent points and comments...

"Hal Burgiss" ####@####.#### said:
> I'd would personally like to see X11 vs VNC addressed a little.

Very good point. I'd imagine taling about X11 forwarding in the
Introduction as a "Why VNC?" explanation.

"Tabatha Persad" ####@####.#### said:
> ...I didn't see anything about this in the current collection.
> Looks also like at one point LDP had a VNC HOWTO for 3.3.3r2,
> but it might have been a while ago because only the license
> was in the folder I found on Google, the documentation was
> long gone (and it wasn't in LDP, it was at another web site).

Can you provide a URL? If there's a TLDP maintainer to contact, I'll
gladly do so and work with him/her. I did find the VNC mini-howto at
http://nift.freeshell.org/vnc-mini-howto/. What does the TLDP suggest
when a similar howto exists, but not in TLDP? Contact the author and
work with him/her?

"John Tapsell" ####@####.#### said:
> It would be quite nice to quickly mention exporting X using
> ssh -X  and also providing a link to ltsp.org

Another excellent point.

I'm leaning towards changing the topic a little -- making the
document more user-centered. VNC HOWTO is useful only if you already
know what VNC is and roughly what it does. That's great for some
people, but beginners aren't going to go looking for VNC if what they
want to do is "log in to my work computer from home and get the full
graphical desktop".

I could pull in ssh -X and X11 forwarding to round out the topic
under a different title (the wording for which escapes me now).

jdd ####@####.#### wrote:
> the original doc is pretty good and the product simple

I agree with you, the VNC guys at AT&T did a nice job documenting the
app. If I didn't already know about VNC, though, I never would've
found their site. Hrmm...this is even more reason to refocus the
HOWTO into "connecting to a graphical desktop on a remote computer".
That way, the reader will find the doc based on what he/she wants to
do.

> may be enlarge a little your doc to cover tinyvnc & co

Good pointer -- I'll be sure tinyvnc as well as TightVNC are
discussed.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and comments. So, it comes
down to this: what does everyone think of refocusing the topic? I'll
cover a few more options and the title will reflect a user need (now,
if only I could fit the concept into a few words for a title!).

Regards,
Meg

=====
Meg Golding    |    http://www.kalamitykat.com