discuss: Re: Linux Gazette blocks newbies

Subject: Re: Linux Gazette blocks newbies
From: "Joy Y Goodreau" ####@####.####
Date: 12 Nov 2002 18:46:45 -0000

Hi Jorn,

This is certainly what we are NOT about.

Unfortunately The Linux Documentation Project has no control over where you
are redirected when you go to the www.linuxdoc.org . Josh Drake owns the
address www.linuxdoc.org, www.linuxdoc.com and his company (Command Prompt)
owns thelinuxreview.com. The potential for this type of problem is one
reason why the TLDP staff felt the need to move to a new address that was
owned by the LDP (now TLDP at www.tldp.org) despite Josh's protests that he
would treat his dealings with The Linux Documentation Project ethically and
without a conflict of interest. As a note, the Linux Review
site(www.linuxdoc.com) does have a prominent link to TLDP at the top of the
page that takes you to our real site.

We apologize. Perhaps this is only a temporary error created without Josh's
knowledge. Regardless, the only avenue we have open is to work very hard to
get rid off all references (printed and otherwise) to the www.linuxdoc.org
as the site the TLDP. Please publicize this effort to list our correct
address and help us advocate using the new address to any and all that will
listen.

Thanks,

joy

************************
Joy Y. Goodreau
LTC Information Development, Team Lead
Collections Editor for The Linux Documentation Project (www.tldp.org)
Office: (512) 838-4118;  T/L:  678-4118
####@####.####

                      ####@####.####
                      (Jorn Barger)            To:       ####@####.####
                                               cc:
                      11/12/2002 12:07         Subject:  Linux Gazette blocks newbies
                      PM

I'm sure you know the top hit at Google for 'Linux Documentation
Project' is "www.linuxdoc.org" which for some reason now redirects to
"thelinuxreview.com"?

But if you look at that Linux Review homepage from the perspective of a
newcomer looking for Linux documentation, they're bound to be (as I was)
seriously frustrated by the difficulty of figuring out where the LDP
really is.

This morning I complained to Joshua Drake about this, and his attitude
is absolutely that he could care less what happens to newbies looking
for the LDP.  Is this what the Linux community is about?

Why not redirect 'linuxdoc' to 'tldp'?  Or at least get the Review to
put a link at the top of their homepage saying unambiguously 'Linux
Documentation Project'?

--
"There's no better reader on the Internet than Jorn Barger"
                                                 --The Register