discuss: new HOWTO: Women in Linux HOWTO.

Subject: Re: new HOWTO: Women in Linux HOWTO.
From: Hugo van der Kooij ####@####.####
Date: 4 Nov 2002 06:34:35 -0000

On Sun, 3 Nov 2002, David Merrill wrote:

> On Sunday 03 November 2002 12:32, Machtelt Garrels wrote:

> > The result is the Women in Linux HOWTO.

> I read the HOWTO, and I find it incredibly sexist. A few choice quotes:
>
> > only 5 to 10 percent of women in general are on-line.
>
> I highly doubt that figure. Here in that US, more than 5% of *households*
> are online -- everybody in them. I don't know a single woman who is *not*
> online, including my 75 year old mother. Has some research really come up
> with this number?

In western europe the figures may be a bit different but I found that both
men and women tend to use email as one means of communicating. Though
perhaps somewhat diferently.

> > If you want a man to do something for you, you will have to go at it
> using tricks and deviations.
>
> Bullshit. Games are for children. Adults form mature relationships built
> on mutual respect and caring, not manipulation.

If this is inteded for settling domestic issues I guess the reply is
right. On average I know most of the persons involved in Linux from email
first. So I tend to judge them by their email habbits and not their looks.
It's usually later that I actually see the face that belongs to the name
(if ever).

> > ...it won't do to get all mad and excited because someone calls you
> > "babe". I'd even push this further: not only accept it, enjoy it ;-)"
>
> Those all seem to be horribly sexist remarks. Each of them is either
> factually incorrect or plain bad advice to give to a woman. That's what
> women themselves say, not just me. The LinuxChix community discussed the
> subject of how women can survive in the Linux and Free Software worlds,
> and their HOWTO is their consensus opinion. Being on the LinuxChix list
> myself, I followed the conversations closely, although I did not
> contribute to them. I am quite confident that not a single member of that
> list would agree with your assessment of the situation or with your
> "survival" tips.

David: could you get some direct advise from the LinuxChix community so we
may use their view as a guideline?

But I tend to agree this howto should not enter the normal howto stream.

Hugo.

    ####@####.####		http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/
	    for they are subtle and quick to anger.