discuss: Hmm.. forgot to mention the project I'm working on

Subject: Hmm.. forgot to mention the project I'm working on
From: Steven Peck ####@####.####
Date: 10 Mar 2001 09:50:48 -0000

Greetings again,

I've been on this list for a few months watching the various discussions,
when that last go around caused me to join in.  It did answer and fill in
some details very nicely too, thanks for that.  In all the conversation I
neglected to actually mention what I was working on.

The Linux Router Project (LRP) at http://www.linuxrouter.org, is a
specialized distribution based off of a custom patched debian build that can
boot from a floppy, run from RAM and serve as an effective router on a 486
system or better.

I have been using a derivative of the Linux Router Projects distribution
(eigerstein variant http://lrp.steinkuehler.net/) for a while now for
NAT'ing and firewalling my home network.  I recently decided to switch to
the newest distribution (LRP 2.9.8) shortly after it was released.  In doing
so, I discovered that the existing documentation was a wee bit dated, and
spread out, and while not entirely irrelevant, was also missing a few steps
I would have liked to have had.  In addition, an umbrella project was formed
(http://leaf.sourceforge.net) to cover the derivatives based on the LRP
distribution (there are a few).  I had contributed one small 'how to' and
was invited to join the project.  What fun!  At this point my contribution
is documentation of LRP as I learn it and a hand at answering some questions
on the mail list.

What I am doing is updating and redo'ing the documentation for installing
and configuring LRP 2.9.8 as a NAT'ing Firewall for SOHO use.  The last set
of documentation was for a few rev's ago.  The original author is aware of
my efforts and I have requested his technical review when I am done, in
addition to the LRP's mail lists members review.

In any case, I am a few weeks from a base release on a basic
'LRP2.9.8-NAT.Firewall-HowTo' document.  When I get to that point, I will
submit it to the LDP for your review and inclusion.  I intend to expand the
document into several optional areas, but the base instruction set will
allow for a solid base install and configuration.  While possibly similar in
some respects to a general Linux networking How to, it is sufficiently
different in structure, setup and configuration to warrant it's own how to.
At least from the repeatedly similar questions we get on our list.

Hmmmm, I hope that wasn't to much detail.  If so, the message is just about
sent....

Steven Peck                   ####@####.####
Sacramento, CA          http://leaf.blkmtn.org