discuss: The Linux Quality Database

Subject: The Linux Quality Database
From: "Michael D. Crawford" ####@####.####
Date: 9 Sep 2002 23:04:45 -0000

Hi,

I've been rather slowly but somewhat steadily working on a website devoted to
improving the quality of Free Software.  The Linux Quality Database is at:

http://linuxquality.sunsite.dk/

I have not yet begun the bug database I talk about there, but I have written
some articles on various aspects of testing and software quality, and plan to
write more.  So far all the articles are under the GNU Free Documentation License:

http://linuxquality.sunsite.dk/articles/

The articles written so far are:

Why We Should All Test the New Linux Kernel
Using Test Suites to Validate the Linux Kernel
Use Validators and Load Generators to Test Your Web Applications
Free Hosting Service HTML Validation Test Page
Pointers to C++ Member Functions

I would enjoy it if these articles were copied and distributed widely.  I invite
others to contribute their own writing on software quality.

I'm also interested in finding people to translate these into other languages.
The two kernel articles were translated to Japanese by the Open Source
Development Lab.  I think there would be a lot of benefit to people if they were
translated into lots of languages.

I wrote the articles in HTML, because at first I didn't know how to get the
software used to process DocBook to work.  But I have figured it out and plan to
translate them to DocBook XML and release the DocBook source too.  I would be
interested to know if there are tools for HTML to DocBook translation.  A couple
of them should be easy for that as they are XHTML.  All of them are at least
valid HTML.

I don't have CVS set up yet, but SunSITE.dk provides CVS service.  When I set in
to work on LinuxQuality next I will put the articles, maybe the whole website,
into CVS and allow anonymous access.

I'm also interested to hear any criticism or suggestions anyone has for the
articles.  The C++ article needs a bit of work I know, but I update all of the
articles from time to time.

Finally, I'm interested to hear any suggestions on how the whole website could
be redesigned to be more attractive.  My HTML may be valid but it is also very
plan, even austere.  My wife is preparing to start a web design service, and has
offerred to redesign the site, but we could use some suggestions on what would
be nice to do with it.  I would still like to support console-based browsers
like Lynx.

Thank you,

Mike
--