discuss: Subscription Validation

From: Mark Lane ####@####.####
Date: 9 Sep 2002 19:14:58 -0000

At 12:23 PM 9/9/02, John Fleck wrote:
>On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 11:00:59AM -0600, Mark Lane wrote:
> > At 09:29 PM 9/7/02, David C. Merrill wrote:
> > >SpamAssassin looks for things typical for spam -- and it just so happens
> > >that autoresponders (like those used for subscribing to mail lists) share
> > >some of those characteristics. That is not a bug in SpamAssassin, but a
> > >general problem which no application can solve perfectly.
> > >
> > >You *can* tweak the rules to, for example, recognize mailman responses as
> > >not spam. That seems to be the only thing to do here.
> >
> > No, that's not the problem. Any other mailman list I have signed up for
> > hasn't been marked as spam just yours. So why would I tweak it for one
> > mailing list authentication email if I am already signed up on the list? I
> > mentioned this for your benefit not mine. If you don't want to make any
> > changes, it will be your loss.
>
>You miss the point.

This is silly. It's you who is missing my point.

>Is it the responsibility of the person sending legitimate email to tailor
>their content to ensure it does not get trapped by spam filters?

If you know that your content triggers spam filters, you will want to
modify email not to. There are lots of broken spam scanning software out
there.

>Or is it the responsibility of the spam filter's user?

You can't rely on someone else to configure things right. That's just
asking for trouble.

>You seem to be arguing that it is the senders' responsibility to change the
>content of their email so that it is not caught by spam filters. I believe
>that is a fundamentally flawed a approach. Inevitably, there will be things we
>want to talk about and technologies we want to use in legitimate email that
>will be identical to topics discussed and technologies used by spammers.

Well be stubborn. If you want people to read your email, you don't want it
filtered by spam filters, Period. If you can modify the emails to avoid
this than you should. I mentioned that it was caught by SpamAssassin for
your benefit.

>I don't believe we should be required to self-censor to meet the strictures of
>spam filters.

Well your loss, then. Some people signing up will become frustrated and
never join the list.

--
Mark Lane
Hard Data Ltd.

Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
FAX: 01-780-456-9772

11060 - 166 Avenue
Edmonton, AB, Canada
T5X 1Y3

http://www.harddata.com/
--> Ask me about our Affordable Alpha Systems! <--