discuss: Converting to html

Subject: Re: Converting to html
From: ####@####.####
Date: 16 Aug 2002 16:11:11 -0000

Hi John and Tabatha,

Thanks for the valuable suggestions :)  Now I am doing some research on how
to store FAQs in a RDBMS, and proces them using DocBook XML, is efficient
manner.

I already have cocoon+tomcat setup, which processes DocBook 4.1.2 XML
document for me. Now I just need to hook it up to a ORDBMS.

Thanks
Saqib Ali

"I fear, if I rebel against my Lord, the retribution of an Awful Day (The
Day of Resurrection)" Al-Quran 6:15

                    Tabatha
                    Persad               To:     ####@####.####
                    <tabatha3@att        cc:     ldp ####@####.####
                    bi.com>              Subject:     Re: Converting to html
                    No Phone Info
                    Available

                    08/15/2002
                    07:38 AM

Hi Saqib,

John pointed out one of the great benefits of XML.

Thanks to a great number of specific tags in DocBook XML, metadata,
indexing and searching becomes much easier.  You can easily provide
statistical data on the number of occurrences of a certain tag, such as
<application></application>, or change the information with a few
keystrokes.

Also, XML can be ported to many other formats very quickly, and with few
if any changes to the original markup.  With one change of a stylesheet,
you can easily change the look of the document.

It might interest you to know that by converting XML to HTML, I was able
to get one of my documents onto my Palm Pilot.  It still looks like a
traditional HOWTO, but how nifty that I can read it on the device!

Also there are many XML editors out there, for both Linux and Windows
platforms, even free for Windows, although I think the Linux tools are
ten times better.

I hope some of this info helps you!

Tabatha

http://www.lodestar2.com/people/dyork/talks/2002/ols/docbook-tutorial/index.html