discuss: Converting to html

Subject: Re: Converting to html
From: Tabatha Persad ####@####.####
Date: 15 Aug 2002 17:40:02 -0000

Hi Saqib,

John pointed out one of the great benefits of XML.

Thanks to a great number of specific tags in DocBook XML, metadata,
indexing and searching becomes much easier.  You can easily provide
statistical data on the number of occurrences of a certain tag, such as
<application></application>, or change the information with a few
keystrokes.

Also, XML can be ported to many other formats very quickly, and with few
if any changes to the original markup.  With one change of a stylesheet,
you can easily change the look of the document.

It might interest you to know that by converting XML to HTML, I was able
to get one of my documents onto my Palm Pilot.  It still looks like a
traditional HOWTO, but how nifty that I can read it on the device!

Also there are many XML editors out there, for both Linux and Windows
platforms, even free for Windows, although I think the Linux tools are
ten times better.

I hope some of this info helps you!

Tabatha

--