discuss: Converting to html

Subject: Re: Converting to html
From: ####@####.####
Date: 15 Aug 2002 16:21:57 -0000

Hi All,
I know this discussion is OffTopic, but it might help others on the list as
well. I applogize for generating addtional emails.

Hi John,
What would be the best configuration for storing FAQs in the RDBMS. I am
thinking I will need the following configuration:
+php+apache+tomcat+cocoon

Would using RDBMS + XML make the setup harder to maintain? Why not just put
the FAQs in the XML Documents. XML documents can be queried, and thus
making the searching and retrieval easier.

If I use RDBMS + XML, I would have to write an application to update the
FAQs in the RDBMS. If I just use plain XML documents, the updator would
just need a XMetal or DocPro as the front-end. Any comments?

Thanks
Saqib Ali

"I fear, if I rebel against my Lord, the retribution of an Awful Day (The
Day of Resurrection)" Al-Quran 6:15

                    "John R.
                    Daily"               To:     ####@####.####
                    <john@geekhav        cc:     ldp ####@####.####
                    oc.com>              Subject:     Re: Converting to html
                    No Phone Info
                    Available

                    08/14/2002
                    08:35 PM

At (time_t)1029378446 ####@####.#### wrote:

> 1) Use DocBook 4.1.2 XML with cocoon on the backend server; or
> 2) Use plain HTML (dreamweaver) with our existing HTML server; or
> 3) Use RDBMS to store all the QandA, and then query using XForms or PHP
or
> jsp

Consider combining 3 and 1.  Store the questions and answers in
an RDBMS in plain text and/or DocBook; over time, the plain text
could be converted to DocBook.  The RDBMS would help make
searching and retrieval more efficient.

When needed, the content is dynamically inserted into a qandaset
and converted to HTML via XSLT.

The advantage of DocBook over plain text (or HTML) in the records
would be both in the formatting and in enhanced searching;
indexes could be generated that would track all questions and
answers that include <productname>Project</productname>, for
example.

--
John R. Daily

http://lists.tldp.org/