discuss: KDE Documentation seems has a solution for translations

Subject: Re: KDE Documentation seems has a solution for translations
From: Nicolas Chauvat ####@####.####
Date: 12 Aug 2002 08:19:10 -0000

On Sun, Aug 11, 2002 at 05:24:46PM +0200, Luc de Louw wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just read through the KDE Documentation and translation HOWTO of the KDE
> Project.
>
> They had/have the same common problem: Maintaining translations of
> Documentation with is written in XML.
>
> A quote from http://i18n.kde.org/translation-howto/doc-translation.php
>
> "To make the documentation easier to maintain, the source files were converted
> to PO format. This format was already used by GUI translators with great
> success"
>
> There is a PO edit called Babelfish with allows to have a "diffview" which
> makes translations of changed Documents easier.
>
> They are using a variant of Docbook XML
>
> <?xml version="1.0" ?>
> <!DOCTYPE chapter PUBLIC "-//KDE//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2-Based Variant
> V1.1//EN"
>  "dtd/kdex.dtd">
>
> I'm not yet clear about how they convert the stuff back from PO to XML.
>
> Former they used docbook SGML and they descibe in the URL mentioned above
> how to XMLify the stuff.
>
> Maybe this could also be interesting for the TLDP?

My opinion is that this is not a good solution for translating a
document is different from translating messages/sentences of a program.

Stuffin XML paragraphs into PO messages raises a lot of issues.

for a full discussion (you read french, right?)

--
Nicolas Chauvat

http://www.logilab.com - "Mais où est donc Ornicar ?" - LOGILAB, Paris (France)