discuss: Usenet News HOWTO: Problem with TOC of PDF generated

Subject: Usenet News HOWTO: Problem with TOC of PDF generated
From: Shuvam ####@####.####
Date: 8 Aug 2002 07:01:33 -0000

Dear all,

The Usenet News HOWTO, which we maintain, seems to have been formatted
correctly, going by the PDF and HTML pages generated. However, the PDF
output seems to have one problem: all links from the TOC go to the first
page. We don't know what we did wrong in our SGML that led to this.

Internally, in our office, we generate PDF using "db2x.sh --pdf
howto.sgml". Here's what I know about our setup:

$ jade -v </dev/null
jade:I: Jade version "1.2.1"
jade:E: SP version "1.3.4"

And I know we're using DocBook, not LinuxDoc. The first line in our
howto.sgml says:

	<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V4.1//EN" [

When I run "db2x.sh", it generates TeX and then runs pdfTeX on it; that
much is visible. Therefore, we are not doing SGML->TeX->DVI->PS->PDF,
but SGML->TeX->PDF. This is all that I know off-hand about our office
software setup.

When we use this setup, in our office, the TOC of the PDF is okay. (Well,
it's not _quite_ okay, but that's a separate problem that others too are
facing, and we are discussing that with Hal Burgiss separately.) However,
the PDF that has been generated by LDP members from our SGML has a
totally weird TOC, where all entries point to page 1. We don't know what
software versions and command lines were used within LDP for this
processing.

All our SGML source files and the generated PDF are on www.tldp.org. Can
SGML veterans please tell us what we're doing wrong, if anything, so
that the PDF on www.tldp.org has a proper TOC?

Thanks and regards,
Shuvam