discuss: Converting to html

Subject: Re: Converting to html
From: Tabatha Persad ####@####.####
Date: 3 Aug 2002 22:22:31 -0000

On Sat, 2002-08-03 at 17:14, Martin WHEELER wrote:

> > Hm... is this little gem in documentation or in the web site resources,
> > one wonders?
>
> Well, if it isn't, it should be; as should Dan York's paper from Debconf
> also?
>
>  http://www.lodestar2.com/people/dyork/talks/2002/ols/docbook-tutorial/
>
> (Sorry about the Debian specificity of these pages, but they're damn'
> good references.)

Martin, I don't think there's anything at all wrong with specificity, as
you so aptly put it.

In fact, it would be really nice to see some distribution-specific
how-tos created for installation and use of all these tools.  After all,
each flavor of Linux often comes prepackaged with plenty of authoring
tools, such as my Mandrake 8.2.  However it was missing several key
components, such as the most recent DocBook SGML and XML.

I suppose on the other hand, someone could argue that the author's guide
should maybe include sections for each distribution, but I think that
would be exhaustive, and difficult to maintain.  I'm sure there are
plenty of authors and users of these tools (like myself), have run into
their own particular quirks about setting up the tools on the
distribution they are most comfortable with, and this would be of great
help to new authors who just want the darned things to work!

Just a thought!

--
Tabatha Persad
Web: www.merlinmonroe.com