discuss: A new programming HOWTO

Subject: Re: A new programming HOWTO
From: "Greg Ferguson" ####@####.####
Date: 29 Jul 2002 18:00:50 -0000

On Jul 28,  9:28pm, David Anderson wrote:
> Subject: A new programming HOWTO
> Hi all,
>
> I have just started gathering info in view of writing a Thread
> Programming HOWTO, on the subject of multithreading with the pthread
> library, and wanted to know if you are interested (I am writing it
> wether it is included in the ldp or not), and if you have any special
> recommendations other than those outlined in the howtos and guides on
> tldp.org .
> I am writing this howto using DocBook XML 4.1.2 , and will probably be
> able to offer a French translation.

Sounds good. I've added it to our list of works "in progress":
http://tldp.org/authors/inprogress.html

Can you also see how this relates to the "Linux Threads Frequently
Asked Questions (FAQ)"? That FAQ has not been updated in a long time
and perhaps you can either take over ownership (if that makes sense)
by contacting the authors or perhaps "replace"/archive it (again, if
that makes sense).

Finally, here's some pointers I provide new authors with to help you
get started (although it sounds like you have a good start on this
already):

  Start with the LDP Author Guide:

    http://tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/

  In our "author's resources" area:

    http://tldp.org/authors/#resources

  there are pointers to various helpful documents/books including:

   DocBook: The Definitive Guide, by Norman Walsh and Leonard Muellner
   http://docbook.org/tdg/en/html/docbook.html

   DocBook XML/SGML Processing Using OpenJade, by Saqib Ali
   http://tldp.org/HOWTO/DocBook-OpenJade-SGML-XML-HOWTO/

   DocBook Install mini-HOWTO, by Robert B Easter
   http://tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/DocBook-Install/

  and there also pointers to downloadable template files for
  HOWTOs (in DocBook SGML/XML and Linuxdoc SGML).

If you have a draft available, or anything else that might be reviewed,
let us know. This document will be added to our list of works "in
progress" (http://www.linuxdoc.org/authors/inprogress.html).

regards,

--
Greg Ferguson    * SGI principal engr / LDP contributor
SGI Tech Pubs    * http://techpubs.sgi.com/ | gferg(at)sgi.com