discuss: SGML-Question: Maintaining Documents in different languages

Subject: Re: SGML-Question: Maintaining Documents in different languages
From: Nicolas Chauvat ####@####.####
Date: 16 Jul 2002 11:08:49 -0000

> I also think to dicsuss this on this list, to maybe standardisize such
> multi-language documents, because I guess a lot of translation efforts
> will be done, if it is easier for the translators.

From my experience, here are some requirements (without specific order):

* don't mix with another system (mixing po and xml prevents you from using
  common xml tools, but that is what KDE does. po is good for
  program messages, not documentation paragraphs)

* have the ability to diff xml files in the same way we diff text files (I
  have something implemented that needs testing, any volunteer? Should I
  commit it into the CVS somewhere?)

* have the ability to merge/separate languages. It's very useful to have
  "english paragraph"
  "spanish paragraph"
  when translating into french, for example. Then extract the french
  version only to produce a translated document. This merge tool
  would nicely complement the above diff tool, although probably not
  trivial to write...

* ... others things I am missing.

--
Nicolas Chauvat