discuss: Lampadas update and planning (LONG)

Subject: Re: Lampadas update and planning (LONG)
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 16 Jul 2002 01:58:23 -0000

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 05:00:07PM -0700, David Lawyer wrote:
> In the Volunteer Menu, I don't see the organization like I proposed.
> First, I think the "in-progress" should replace "pending" as it's not
> clear to many what "pending" means while in-progress is clearer.

The order and naming of menus is entirely controlled by data, not by
code, so that's very easy to tweak however you like it.

> The unmaintained docs need a new maintainer so there shouldn't be a
> separate link for them.  Actually they need to be sorted out into the
> ones that need a new maintainer and the ones that are obsolete.

You mean there shouldn't be the page that lists unmaintained
documents?

They already are separated out. I just haven't added a page of
archived docs yet. I'm trying to decide how to handle it internally.

> There is no "Author Wanted" link.  This is for the case of docs that are
> on the wish-list, frozen (license doesn't allow modification), unfinished
> (original author gave up), or rejected (but we think it's a worthy topic
> --Tea HOWTO wouldn't qualify).  All of these need an author to write (or
> rewrite) them.  So it's not just a simple matter of maintaining it since
> it needs a lot of work before being published.  Some unmaintained docs
> may need a lot of work too, but ones where the author wants out may be
> pretty much up-to-date and may not need much work before being republished.

Yes, there is, but it says "Maintainer Wanted". That displays on the
editdoc page. There is currently no list of documents flagged
"Maintainer Wanted".

> Should "Obsolete" go into the volunteer menu?  Perhaps, since one could
> volunteer to "maintain" an obsolete doc.  This would be an easy job since
> it would mainly consist in adding some historical notes, etc. and
> explaining why it's obsolete.  As time goes by, there may be even more
> reasons why it's obsolete.  I suppose that maintained obsolete docs
> would not be put here since they don't need a maintainer.

Good question. I don't know. I might just make a "Documents" menu with
all of those filters in it.

Right now I am not worrying about or tweaking these kinds of layout
issues. Like I said, it's all data and not code. The current layout
was chosen partially because it exercises all of the functionality of
the templating system. Let's deal with cosmetic issues after the code
freeze, so I can deal with the code now, okay?

Did you log in as yourself and see your personal home page? Did it all
work okay?

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####

How do you leave the past behind
When it keeps finding ways to get to your heart
It reaches way down deep and tears you inside out
Till you're torn apart
	-- RENT