discuss: Lampadas update

Subject: Lampadas update
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 9 Jul 2002 01:22:26 -0000

I just wanted to give you all an update on Lampadas development.

Current Lampadas meta-data functionality is almost equivalent to the
old LDPDB. The mirroring module is just about complete. I am not yet
generating a static site, but all the hard stuff is done for it. In
other words, all the major systems are working. I have interfaces
to complete, some security/permissions work, and then fine tuning of
lots of stuff. Some data still needs a front end. There is not yet any
online editing capability. I18n is good except that no Asian language
support is yet available. But European languages are working well.
We still need a script to import LDP data. Once we get that, I'll post
a demo with full LDP documentation in it.

The short story is we will be going to beta as scheduled, around the
end of this month. I will announce a feature freeze sometime before
then, perhaps as soon as a week and perhaps two or three.
Things really are moving fast!

The first release will include a simple CMS system, so all LDP pages
can be served through Lampadas if the group decides to do that.
Obviously that is what I want, but this is a group project, so I'd like
to know how the rest of you feel about it.

The first step would be to generate the current website, or one much
like it, through Lampadas. This requires minimal commitment to
Lampadas. If and when that goes well, which I expect it will, we can
then look at moving further, into making Lampadas the default LDP site,
with static content only for mirrors. If, again, that's what the group
wants to do.

The Gnome Documentation Project will likely adopt Lampadas for their
documentation work as well. I'm very happy about that, as you can
imagine.

More information as it becomes available...

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####

My father would womanize; he would drink. He would make outrageous claims
like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of
being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the
insane lament.
		-- Dr. Evil, Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me