discuss: XML setup HOWTO??

Subject: Re: XML setup HOWTO??
From: Tabatha Persad ####@####.####
Date: 30 Jun 2002 00:05:47 -0000

On Saturday 29 June 2002 19:19, Charles Curley wrote:
> Got it. I checked it against the distribution archive from OASIS.
> File names are identical, and all of the few lengths I checke are
> identical. So I would say you duplicated the OSAIS distribution.
> The only exception is your link between "catalog" and
> "docbook.cat", which is a minor detail.
>
> > I've also attached my master catalog so you can take a look.  I
> > figured it would be easier to just send you everything rather
> > than try and reproduce it in email - I hope you don't mind!
>
> What your master catalog told me is that the SYSTEM line you sent
> me earlier wasn't complete. I needed this:
>
> "docbook/4.1.2xml/docbookx.dtd"
> "home/tabatha/tmp/ld2db/ld2db/linuxdoc.dtd"

Er, duh.  I forgot about that.  And the ld2db reference is another
one that I installed after, just for the good old linuxdoc dtd.  Due
to my reviewer responsibiities, it's something that I use quite a bit.

> Also, I realized that the SYSTEM line is specific to XML, so I
> moved it into the xml catalog. That may have been a mistake, as I
> expect there will move versions of docbook, and I'll have to
> remember to copy it.
>
> Anyway, my master catalog now looks like:
>
> CATALOG /etc/sgml/sgml-docbook-3.0.cat
> CATALOG /etc/sgml/sgml-docbook-3.1.cat
> CATALOG /etc/sgml/sgml-docbook-4.0.cat
> CATALOG /etc/sgml/sgml-docbook-4.1.cat
> CATALOG /etc/sgml/xml-docbook-4.1.2.cat
>
> and the xml catalog, /etc/sgml/xml-docbook-4.1.2.cat:
>
> CATALOG /usr/share/sgml/sgml-iso-entities-8879.1986/catalog
> CATALOG /usr/share/sgml/docbook/4.1.2xml/docbook.cat
> CATALOG /usr/share/sgml/openjade-1.3/catalog
> CATALOG /usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets-1.64/catalog
> SYSTEM "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd"
> "/usr/share/sgml/docbook/4.1.2xml/docbookx.dtd"
>
> That got rid of all the errors when I generate HTML. Now to see if
> I can get a makefile working & try other formats.
>
> Also, I now find I can leave the URL system identifier in place,
> and I still get the local DTD, which is fine with me.

I guess because the local path to the dtd in my catalog didn't start
with capitals I kind of skimmed it!  One thing is for sure, setting
up DocBook for me has been a great precursor to learning about
authoring tools in general.  Even though I kind of surf through my
work now that the tools operate, it's nice every once in a while to
suddenly grasp a config thing and have it all click!

Have fun in XML!
Tab

--
Tabatha Persad