discuss: newbie 2 linux customization

Subject: Re: newbie 2 linux customization
From: Dave Kelly ####@####.####
Date: 24 Jun 2002 04:41:36 -0000

ody quraviharto wrote:

> hi all,
> this is my 1st mail and 1st time to Linux, mine is RH
> 7.3. My question are:
> 1. Is compiling kernel necessary ? If then How to ?
> 2. My VGA card wasn't in the list so I choosed VESA
> generic driver. This caused my system can't display
> 1024x768 32 bits resolution like in Windohs, now mine
> is 800x600 16 bits. How to display 1024x768 32bits or
> change the resolutions ?
> 3. How to play Xmms without 'sndconfig' first? my
> soundcard onboard is sis7012. If I don't 'sndconfig'
> then Xmms display error warnings and can't play. Few
> days ago my friends did s'thing to my Linux, he made
> my Linux couldn't play xmms eventhough I 'sndconfig'.
> I couldn't trace what he has done because he had
> deleted the history. What am I suppose to do ?

There are newsgroups for the different distributions, Mandrake,
Red Hat, etc. You will get a better answer if you ask in those
newsgroups.

Pick the newsgroup that fits your distro. Then break this message
into 3 separate postings. You will find different users that have
more knowledge about different things and it will be easier for
you and them to reply to separate questions.

Also you will need to supply information about your system.
Kernel version
CPU name/type/speed
Cards, drivers, error wording, etc. Give all the information you
possible can. No one is a mind reader.

But first. Go read the manuals and HOWTOs. Because if you can not
show them that you have tried to fix the problem yourself, that will
be the answer you get, read the manual.

This group is for writing the docments and is more inclined to check
yous spelling and grammar or tell you how to use one of the publishing
programs.

You can find me on the alt.os.mandrake newsgroup.

Hope this helps some.
Dave

--
	There is no actual cure for this virus.
	You had better install some virtual kleenex.