discuss: Versioning Issues (Oracle 8i HOWTO)

Subject: Re: Versioning Issues (Oracle 8i HOWTO)
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 19 Jun 2002 16:48:10 -0000

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 12:35:11AM +0200, Alexander Bartolich wrote:
> David Lawyer wrote:
> > [...] This would be a lot of work, but one could use a preprocessor
> > like m4 so that it would generate a custom document depending
> > on the versions and distribution the reader had.

> > Could lampadas handle this?
>
> My insight into lampadas is not that solid.
> But I'd say that this early in development it is not a
> problem to add an optional pre-processing state for documents.

Hrmmmm. It's certainly possible, but I have no plans to do it. The
current code would support having two documents which embedded a
different set of external entities, accomplishing what you want.
But they would be considered two separate documents, not one. This is
what we would do now anyway. Perhaps this is sufficient. But the ideal
would be to remember that they are two versions of the same document,
but with different target audiences. I have a system to do that sort
of thing in my head but won't implement it until probably next year.

We can talk about whether/how to implement anything beyond that once we
are farther in the development process. Like after we get the other
more pressing features in place and the thing running live.

> However, I think that most mirrors of en.tldp will just copy
> static files. Trying to force all of them to use a
> postgresql/python application just to deliver .tar.gz
> is a strange idea bound to make LDP a synonym of obscurity.

FYI, Lampadas will export a static site. In fact, I am right now
doing some thinking about reproducing basically the existing LDP site
but using Lampadas as the source. It won't be identical, but similar.
Primarily, the navigation wil be more consistent because Lampadas will
enforce a hierarchical structure (which you can override, of course,
where you want to).

The static site is generated using XSLT from the XML store to which
all documents have been converted. This part of the system is quite
well along but not in CVS since I just got DSL again yesterday. :-)
I'll have a huge commit coming that I've been working on while
offline.

Ever since Ferg mentioned using Lampadas for the LDP website, I have
been considering what it would take. I'll post more when I have
figured out more.

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####

A society that will trade a little liberty for a little order will lose
both, and deserve neither.
	-- Thomas Jefferson