discuss: Linux installation problems

Subject: Re: Linux installation problems
From: "Sean Lamb" ####@####.####
Date: 19 Jun 2002 13:15:05 -0000

(reply inlined)

'Twas brillig Wed, 19 Jun 2002 08:52:10 +0200 when you scrobe:
> To: ####@####.####
> Subject: Linux installation problems
>
> I am new to linux world and this is my first mail to this mailing

Welcome to the Linux Documentation Project (LDP) mailing list where we
discuss creating and modifying documentation and tools to create and modify
the documentation.  As such, this is not a general Linux support mailing list.

> group(hope someone can answer my questions). I have linux 7.2 and PC P4
> with win XP. I wanted dual boot.
>
> Further,  I have only one disk drive i.e. C: with 30 GB and I chose
> automatic partition and followed the instruction given in the redHat
> book and hoped all should be done automatically. I used GRUB boot manager.

Personally, I use SuSE on both my work and home machines, so I'm not as
familiar with RedHat's distribution.  Maybe some of the links below will help
you find someone who is more capable of answering your questions.

My first resource when I have a problem is a search at Google
(http://www.google.com).  Type the complete error message that you're getting
into the search text and then explore from there.

RedHat itself has a very extensive website full of information and
troubleshooting tips at http://www.redhat.com - start by clicking on the
Support link near the top of the page.

It sounds like you've got a fairly typical setup.  Since you're using RedHat,
a better place to ask your questions would be one of the RedHat Support
mailing lists that are described at http://www.redhat.com/support/forums/

Also you mentioned reading "the redHat book" in your message.  If you're
reading the manual that came with a boxed version of RedHat, you've probably
got support included by telephone where you can work with a RedHat support
expert live and in person.  If you've bought the box, you've already paid for
a support contract, so now is the best time to use it; call them up and talk
to a tech.

The LDP has a few documents on setting up multiboots at
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/os.html#OSBOOT

> 1. Now the problem is that I only get Linux when I boot my PC and there
> is no window option.
> After reading some mails I encountered "partition magic". What is this
> and I never encountered this during my installation process. When to run
> this tool and from where to get it?
> Further, how I can solve my problem of dual boot when I have installed
> linux with only disk driver, is it too late to use magic partition or is
> there any other way to come around this problem.d

Partition Magic is not free software.  Product details are online at
http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

One of the RedHat forums at http://www.redhat.com/support/forums/ should be
able to help.

> 2. My keyboard doesn't match what I type e.g. if I want to type "/",
> instead "&" appears. Where and how to correct keyboard settings?

During setup, you probably selected the incorrect keyboard definition for
your language and locale settings.  The LDP has a couple documents on working
with keyboard setup at
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/hardware.html#HWKYBRD.

Your best resource will be one of the RedHat forums at
http://www.redhat.com/support/forums/

> 3. My PC is connected to a server via Breadband using DHCP server for
> internet connection and during "Network configuration" process I clicked
> the check boxes "Configure using DHCP" and "Activate on boot".
> It does not work either. How to solve this?

Networking with Linux is an enormous topic.  There is a ton of information
online about it (search Google for "linux networking" and you'll see what I
mean).  The LDP has some docs at
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/networking.html

Your best resource will be the RedHat forums at
http://www.redhat.com/support/forums/

> May be it would be better for me to uninstall linux and restart the
> process again. How to uninstall linux completely and to get back my
> originall winXP OS under the condition that I have installed linux with
> one disk drive i.e. C:

Well, you could try an uninstall and reinstall, but that's not always the
best option.  Since it's booting into Linux now, all that is often needed is
some tweaking in various config files.

Either way, your best forum for support will be the RedHat support forums at
http://www.redhat.com/support/forums/

--
Sean Lamb, Software Engineer - ####@####.####
         while( ) { s/$badcode/$goodcode/g; }