discuss: Linux installation problems

Subject: Re: Linux installation problems
From: Alexander Bartolich ####@####.####
Date: 19 Jun 2002 08:23:59 -0000

Mohammad Saleem wrote:
> [...] I am new to linux world and this is my first mail
> to this mailing group(hope someone can answer my
> questions).

This mailing list is about development of LDP
documents and the LDP itself. It is not a place
to provide help about Linux in general.

A complete (but confusing) index to the stuff
LDP provides is at http://en.tldp.org/docs.html

I recommend to have at least a look at

http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/categories.html

You are highly welcome to report if you don't find
anything approriate there or if some document does
not work is plain wrong.

> I have linux 7.2

Ooops. Severe error. 'Linux' is the kernel only.
Current versions are in the range 2.4.x or 2.5.x.

What you mean is RedHat Linux 7.2.
There also is (rather was) a SuSE Linux 7.2.

> [...] After reading some mails I encountered
> "partition magic". What is this

This is a commercial partitioning tool.
A lot of features, including resizing and moving.

> [...] Further, how I can solve my problem of dual boot
> when I have installed linux with only disk driver,

I don't understand what you are trying to say.
Do you mean a boot disk, i.e. a 3.5" floppy?

> [...] if I want to type "/", instead "&" appears.

This is one of the first options of the installation program.
Did you just press enter everywhere?

> Where and how to correct keyboard settings?

Both GNOME and KDE provide configuration dialogs for this.
However, I use neither.

For the console (non-graphic login) this setting is
stored in text file /etc/sysconfig/keyboard.
/usr/sbin/kbdconfig is simple program to change it.

For X11 this is either /etc/X11/XF86Config or
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4. In both files the line to
looks like

XkbLayout   "us"

/usr/bin/X11/Xconfigurator is simple tool to reconfigure.

> 3. My PC is connected to a server via Breadband
> [...] It does not work either. How to solve this?

How do you know it does not work?
What exactly does not work?
What is the output of /sbin/ifconfig?
Can you ping a known host?

> [...] May be it would be better for me to uninstall
> linux and restart the process again.

Could help. And please read the dialogs of installation
program before clicking 'Next'.

> How to uninstall linux completely and to get
> back my originall winXP OS under the condition
> that I have installed linux with one disk drive i.e. C:

Can you boot XP?
Anyway, you can make a clean installation by activating
format-partitions during custom installation. Don't know
what automatic installation types default to (don't use them).

http://www.gmx.net