discuss: Versioning Issues (Oracle 8i HOWTO)

Subject: Re: Versioning Issues (Oracle 8i HOWTO)
From: Colin Watson ####@####.####
Date: 16 Jun 2002 18:57:28 -0000

On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 11:38:25AM -0700, David Lawyer wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 05:37:49PM +0100, Stephen Darlington wrote:
> > In order to solve these problems, my answer has been to write the HOWTO
> > about Redhat 6 and Oracle 8.1.5 and have small errata on my website. I
> > feel that this is a reasonable compromise, however that opinion does not
> > seem to be universal.
>
> This would be a lot of work, but one could use a preprocessor like m4 so
> that it would generate a custom document depending on the versions and
> distribution the reader had.  You would need an interactive website.
> Could lampadas handle this?

Plenty of people read documents on one distribution and apply what
they've learnt to a system running another, and distributions would have
a job choosing which version of Oracle they wanted to document
considering that they don't distribute any version of Oracle in the
first place ...

I'd aim for describing some reasonably vanilla system (or just whatever
the author is most familiar with), and document deviations from this as
they're brought to the author's attention. That way, people have the
opportunity to read information about multiple distributions and
versions in case they need that without having to preprocess the whole
document in multiple ways and laboriously scan through diff output.

--
Colin Watson                                  ####@####.####