discuss: convertion tool

Subject: Re: convertion tool
From: Alexander Bartolich ####@####.####
Date: 2 Jun 2002 19:48:43 -0000

Guylhem P Aznar wrote:
 > [...] That's why I think we should have our own docbook tools
 > package, distribution independent, and able to coexist safely
 > with any distribution docbook tools package.

Sounds good. But ... just how do you want to make it?

 > /opt/docbook would be just fine

I would prefer /opt/docbook-1.2.3 and a symlink called /opt/docbook.
Pretending that different versions don't exist is not good.

 > [...] write documentation without path or version problem
 > ("just tar zxvf docbook.tgz in /opt,

SCNR: tar -C /opt -zxvf docbook.tgz

Anyway, IMHO it's the wrong approach to the problem.
The current documentation (e.g. Author Guide) falls short because
it's not tested with all popular distributions. Some parts have
not been updated for a while. And some of those parts don't even
state which version of what product the mean to describe.

Packing all software into one .tgz will not make the differences
between systems vanish. You will end with a big source package,
a big installation script, various pre-compiled packages
AND documentation of all systems.

And you would still lack a compatibility guide for moving from
one environment to the other. I had no problems rendering docbook
with RedHat's tools. The trouble started when I wanted to use
ldp.dsl. Replacing "ldp.dsl + no documentation" with one
"one big .tgz + still without documentation" will probably
do severe damage to LDP's reputation as a nice player.

In in any case we need an army of contributors that test the
stuff on their favorite system with their pet projects.
And we must encourage feedback and provide a simple means to
collect experience reports into a guide.

This is the Linux Documentation Project.
It is not Linux From Scratch.
And neither the DocBook DTDs, jade/openjade, DSSSL nor XML tools
are developed or maintained here.